Monkstown Hockey Club, established in 1894, is one of the oldest hockey clubs in Ireland.
The concept and formation of Monkstown Hockey Club came from Mr C. P. Ball & Mr H. S. Findlater. In response to circulars sent out by them, a meeting was held in Kenny’s Hotel, Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) on the 17th of September 1894, and it was there where Monkstown Hockey Club was unanimously formed and named. The following officers were then elected; Honorary Secretary H. S. Findlater, Honorary Treasurer C. P. Ball and Committee Members R. Rice, J. W. Ball, B. W. Scott, G. R. Symes and R. G. Boughton.
Of the current clubs in Leinster, Monkstown is the 3rd oldest after Dublin University and Three Rock Rovers who were founded one year prior to Monkstown. At that first meeting a deputation was elected to ask Mr Bousfield of Corrig School for permission to play on the lower portion of their cricket pitch on Tivoli Terrace, which he agreed to. He was then promptly elected the first president of Monkstown Hockey Club and all the Corrig School became honorary members. The annual subscription was set at five shillings, with an entrance fee of two shillings and six pence but the following year it was raised to seven shillings and six pence for all those living within a five mile radius of the club ground.
The colours of the club were chosen to be “light blue shirt with dark blue pipings and MHC on the pocket in dark blue”. The Honorary Secretary reported that arrangements had been concluded with “Lynch of Westmoreland Street, Dublin to supply shirts made of flannel thoroughly shrunk at 7/6 each. Some years elapsed before the standardisation of the colour of shorts took place when white was worn. This was later changed to navy blue.
Herbert Findlater who proposed the formation of Monkstown Hockey Club was a member of an eminent business and professional family in Dublin.