Monkstown Hockey Club, established in 1894, is one of the oldest hockey clubs in Ireland.
The concept and formation of Monkstown Hockey Club came from Mr C. P. Ball & Mr H. S. Findlater. In response to circulars sent out by them, a meeting was held in Kenny’s Hotel, Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) on the 17th of September 1894, and it was there where Monkstown Hockey Club was unanimously formed and named. The following officers were then elected; Honorary Secretary H. S. Findlater, Honorary Treasurer C. P. Ball and Committee Members R. Rice, J. W. Ball, B. W. Scott, G. R. Symes and R. G. Boughton.
Of the current clubs in Leinster, Monkstown is the 3rd oldest after Dublin University and Three Rock Rovers who were founded one year prior to Monkstown. At that first meeting a deputation was elected to ask Mr Bousfield of Corrig School for permission to play on the lower portion of their cricket pitch on Tivoli Terrace, which he agreed to. He was then promptly elected the first president of Monkstown Hockey Club and all the Corrig School became honorary members. The annual subscription was set at five shillings, with an entrance fee of two shillings and six pence but the following year it was raised to seven shillings and six pence for all those living within a five mile radius of the club ground.
The colours of the club were chosen to be “light blue shirt with dark blue pipings and MHC on the pocket in dark blue”. The Honorary Secretary reported that arrangements had been concluded with “Lynch of Westmoreland Street, Dublin to supply shirts made of flannel thoroughly shrunk at 7/6 each. Some years elapsed before the standardisation of the colour of shorts took place when white was worn. This was later changed to navy blue.
Herbert Findlater who proposed the formation of Monkstown Hockey Club was a member of an eminent business and professional family in Dublin.
Monkstown Ladies originally formed in 1982 but this section of Monkstown disbanded in 1991. Monkstown Ladies was revived in 2008 by Aileen Kealy, Sarah Lovett, Suzie Murray, Amy McGovern and Grainne Wall and 12 other members. The ladies ethos from the outset was driven by a desire to share in the fun & comradery which was so evident in Monkstown HC. The ambition was to grow a strong and successful ladies section that would complement and mirror the success of the men’s section in Monkstown HC.
The ladies players who formed the initial team in 2008 came from a number of different clubs and levels throughout Leinster and dominated division 14 wining all their matches their inaugural season. In 2009 the team was promoted to division 11 and after just two games the Leinster Hockey Association promoted the team to Division 8 and a second Monkstown Ladies team was introduced.
The ladies section’s attitude, skill and dedication building each season and winning promotion throughout the teams had created an appetite for Fillies hockey from families affiliated with Monkstown. In 2010 the first fillies took to the field on a Sunday morning in Rathdown, coached by the ladies and supported by Sharon Cole & Laura Martin.
In 2012 Monkstown HC expanded adding a third and fourth team when they were joined by Dalkey Ladies Hockey Club. Monkstown Hockey Club now have 6 teams competing in the Leinster Leagues and the National EY Hockey League. A vets team was established in 2015 and play in the Leinster Ladies’ Vets league.
From their revival in 2008 the 1st team enjoyed promotion every season (excluding one) until 2016 when the Monkstown Ladies successfully gained promotion into division 2 and the club merged with Hermes Hockey Club cementing its place in the Irish Hockey League.